Skip to main content

Jingle Cross 2015 Mud Fest

In my experience, Jingle Cross is either mud or frozen mud.  This year was no different.  Warmish temperatures made for a festival of mud.  This, on top of three days of formidable courses and large field sizes, put GPCTCX racers to their toughest test yet.

Emmett

Race face. Awaiting go time.  Photo: Jill Riese
"Just finished the last race of the cyclocross season. Jingle Cross was an epic way to finish the season. Thanks to all of the good friends and teammates that made this season a total blast!"

Emmett made the most of his handling skills in the huge cat 4 fields and finished 34th on Friday night, then moving into the top 25 for Saturday and Sunday.  

Licki

"Jingle Cross was muddy and nasty and hard and a hell of a lot of fun. Despite being frozen (my first race was scheduled right after sunset and I didn't expect the temperature to just drop like that) and a panicked few minutes in the pit clawing mud and grass from my general derailleur area, and some dropped chains all around... It was a really fun course (except for you Mt Krumpit I hate you) and I thought it was especially clever they routed us through the barns. But that much ankle deep sloppy mud?? Omg."

Sara, post race, looking shockingly clean. Photo: Josh Rice  

Sara

"Brought me a little Iowa mud home....ok, a lot!"

Sydney

"Yowza! I was delusional when I registered for two races each day, and chose not to start the pro race on Friday and Saturday in order to conserve energy for the masters women 35+ overall win. The women's master races went off with the masters men, so that made it quite exciting to have over a 100 racers on the course at a time.  It also made it challenging to keep track of where my competitors were, so I just rode and ran as hard as I could to get away from Robin Williams (Minnesota), Jadine Riley (Seattle), and Paula Burks and Shannon Greenhill from Georgia. It was so cool to have several strong riders in the masters race. Is is a sign of the growth of cyclocross?  Might we someday have something similar to ferocious competition one sees in the men's masters fields?  I hope so.  

Climbing Mt. Krumpet Friday afternoon. Photo: Jeff Corcoran

After securing the overall win in the masters on Sunday, I went ahead and toed the line with the pro field that included the likes of Katerina Nash, Katie Compton, Kaitlin Antonneau, Amanda Miller, Elle Anderson, and basically who's who of US Women Pros.  Of course, I never saw them on the course as they disappeared in seconds from those of us lined up on the last rows, but it was a fun race nonetheless. All 34 of us who started were committed competitors and no matter where you were in the field, you were racing - either trying to pass, defend a line, or keep your lead.  It was pretty great. 

The real heroes of the weekend were the folks in the pit, fighting their own races to grab bikes, get them cleaned off, and return to position before their rider came through.  Without my fella, MFD, I would never have been able to get the wins I did. The mud was so heavy, that it necessitated bike changes every half a lap if possible. Jingle Cross took a team to do well and next year, GPCTCX will be doing pit training for everyone along with the rest of it!"
Masters Nationals in Asheville, NC is up next - January 7!  Photo: Paul Buchanan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Kanza 200: 1% At A Time

If you’re into gravel riding, you’ve heard of the Dirty Kanza. You’ve heard stories of beautiful landscapes in East Central Kansas, you’ve heard of amazing people, and you’ve heard of mental and physical perseverance like you’ve never experienced. And after my first try of the Dirty Kanza, I can tell you the stories are true. The Flint Hills of Kansas are uniquely beautiful, the people of Emporia are unbelievably kind, and I had to dig to a level inside myself that I’ve never experienced before. My Dirty Kanza journey started on a cold January morning where I was continuously clicking refresh on bikereg.com to try to snag one of the coveted 1300 positions for the 200 mile event. As 8am hit I was already clicking through to the checkout page in hopes of getting a position. 2000 total positions sold out in a record 8 minutes and I was very fortunate to have snagged one of them. Within 2 hours the excitement had worn off and the first thought of ‘Oh no, what have I done’ set in. By the ti…

Before CX, Gravel Worlds

Gravel Worlds, a 150-mile gravel race around Lincoln, Nebraska, is a must-do for many local cyclists, including those on GPCTCX, who if they didn't ride (Jen, Rachel, Allison, and Russell), helped out and cheered others on.

Brian Waters

This was my second Gravel Worlds. The first half was mostly on roads I had never been on before, which was lots of fun. I was pleased to improve my time by 3 hours 22 minutes compared to 2016, on a course that was 7 miles longer than the 2016 course. Rachel Gehringer-Wiar
While I couldn't ride Gravel Worlds this year due to a health issue, I had an incredible experience volunteering and providing support. My friend and I staffed a "roving oasis," where we popped up on various remote roads with snacks and water. I've never seen so many people greet sliced watermelon with such enthusiasm! 
Volunteering flipped my Gravel Worlds experience by 180 degrees. As a racer in endurance events like this, I'm focused only on personal survi…

Pastries, Pros, & Last Minute Racing - A Jingle Cross Recap

A year ago at Jingle Cross 2016 I truly fell in love with cyclocross. It's hard to watch the pro women race (sorry guys, I think the women's races are more fun) and not fall in love with the beauty of it all. The technical climbs, daring descents, and fun elements (think sand pits and run-ups) make Jingle Cross as fun to spectate as it is to race. This year, I was totally bummed to realize I had an event for my new job the Friday of Jingle Cross and wouldn't be able to attend. I had made my peace with not going months ago, so, imagine my joy when my boss told me to take the Friday off since I had been putting in so many hours. There was one problem, due to my new job and being sick I hadn't trained at all for the season. I finally settled on just spectating for the weekend. A nice weekend of watching the pros rip up the course sounded the like the best stress relief.

I found out I could head to Iowa a week before Jingle Cross started and after chatting with Rachel, wh…